Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Seeking calm


It is only Wednesday and it feels as though a whole week or more has passed. Work and life in general has been a bear and I feel as if its taking me over some days. I want that place to retreat where there aren't demands or phones. I won't even go into the fiasco of yesterday with chasing loose horses through the woods and security alarms at home.

At an enforced break at work (I have decided to MAKE myself stop and concentrate on me) I found myself drawing what was in front of me. My office. That in itself is depressing enough, as even during some offtime, work still stays with me. I think in future for those breaks I will physically go somewhere else and do a little plein air.

The horses will go up for sale this weekend. It is hard to work and try to find time for them. As well, the mobility of their primary caregiver is limited and it is more difficult to maintain that level of care which they need. They've both grown a lot since they arrived more than a year ago. They've expanded upwards and outwards and their personalities became apparent. Kit, who I've sketched here, is the 4 year old, with the mentality of a 4 year old much of the time. Sometimes a 4 year old on a sugar rush! Lady, is the blonde bombshell, a sorrel quarter horse with an arrogance that can only be experienced. I will miss having them around, but know that they need more time devoted to them that I am not able to provide.

So if anyone wants to buy a horse...

Technorati tags: , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found your blog through Moleskinerie. Your artwork is beautiful and I can empathize with your attempts to balance work and "life". I have the same struggles with a demanding job and my creative life, and I can empathize with your difficulties of feeling overwhelmed. Art keeps me sane, but often weeks go by when the only art and writing being done is in my head.

DRU said...

Amazing....Your art work is awesome, how long does it take for you to complete these sketches??

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes Loretta, work and life is never easy to fit in most days is it? But we keep on trying. The art makes the work bearable.

Leroy, thanks. I guess the drawings vary - anywhere from 30 minutes to 20 or 30 hours, depending on the realism of the drawing. Most sketches - around 30 or 40 minutes usually.