Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Drawing from life


There are challenges associated with drawing from life, especially animals and children as they don't stay still for long enough to capture more than gestures or lines usually. So most portraits of either may be done with a combination of life and photographic aids.

As with all life drawing, it takes practice to become efficient at analysing and placing lines so that you quickly capture the movement and shape of the object. In life classes that I have participated in, we would start off with a number of very quick poses ranging from 10 seconds up to 30 seconds or a full minute, which seemed like forever after a 10 second pose! It really does teach you to see and commit to paper quickly even though there is some stress involved at the time.

The same technique works well with animals who are constantly moving. It is what I did with this drawing of my mother's cat. It was sitting on her deck in the late afternoon sun which came through the trees and slats of the railings. I started drawing the cat and had most of the basic shapes complete before she moved. I then finished the sketch from memory or imagination with the light shapes still remaining constant more or less.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

Candace said...

How beautiful! The cat will breathe any second now. That takes a lot of skill. I'm glad to have found your blog, Jeanette.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thank you Robin and Candace. Your comments mean a lot to me and lift my day.