Monday, August 21, 2006

Fried green tomatoes

At 6am, still sleepwarmed, I looked into the mirror and found this wildhaired, middleaged woman looking back at me. We never really see ourselves, we never have that luxury. We can only see ourselves as a reversed image in reflective glass or though the product of the lens of a camera. Is that image who we are? Each camera image of myself looks entirely different than the last, just as every self portrait is different also. I may test my theory this week and draw a new self portrait every day to track the differences. Are they in me or in my view of me? A little of both I suspect.

I was given a little watercolour Moleskine notebook that I christened today with an image of green tomatoes. Watercolour is still a medium that I feel I am learning each time I use it. It is as if it has a life of its own once water is added, rather like that little creature Gizmo, in the old Gremlins movie. I believe it was water anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Fried green tomatoes are a delight to eat which I discovered a few years ago through a friend who offered them up for supper one day. They're so easy to make and wonderful to eat - also a great way to use up a glut of green tomatoes in the garden.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

All my self-portraits are different also. Really bad in fact. No one that knows me thinks they look like me. They say I don't look that old or that sad. They say I am always smiling. But let them try to concentrate on a mirror image and try to see without glasses. All my SP look like I am realllly concentrating. I think yours always look good. I did one in the middle of the night. Couldn't sleep and came in and drew me. I didn't comb my hair or anything. Scared me to death. That was my first and I'm surprised it wasn't the last. I must be a glutton for punishment. My family thinks I should stop doing them.

Mary said...

Nice sketch Jeanette! Jose Luis Cuevas, probably the most famous Mexican contemporary artist living, draws a self portrait every day, although they have not been shown to the public. This he has done for many years now so you can imagine how intersting the collection, must be.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Never stop doing them Jeanne. They are a record of your impressions and will change as you grow as an artist.

Thanks Mary. I would love to see his collection when it finally comes to light. Quite the pile I would imagine.