Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The art of education


There was a beautiful sunset tonight with the sky almost on fire. It is the calm before the storm literally as Tropical Storm Florence makes its way towards the east coast with heavy rains and winds up to 130kph predicted. The sky shows a very different picture tonight but I'm sure it will change before dawn arrives. While I'm not a sunset person, the drama of this one struck me as being unique and begged to be captured.

I will embark on my first teaching experience in a long time on Thursday as I take a small group of people through their beginning steps of drawing. It is exciting and frightening at the same time. I have so much information in my head that I hope I can get out the relevant points that will help them move towards their goal of seeing, and producing art.

I was browsing online and in my reference books to provide the best information and exercises that will provide interest, test skill levels and increase their understanding of the theory and practical aspects of making marks on paper as well as being a thoroughly enjoyable, addictive experience.

While looking for specific education sites on line I found the following which were beneficial and are geared to answering questions and providing information on teaching art.

TeacherArtExchange, is an online community of teachers and learners. You'll take part in conversations through e-mail about art education with colleagues from across the United States-even around the world. The archive can be accessed without subscribing to the Art Exchange.

The Incredible Art Department has a list of forms, templates, lesson plans and ideas for art classes. Many are aimed at school levels but can easily be adapted to adult classes too.

Yahoo Art Sites

Discovery School. This site hosts a list of links to all sorts of art related sites.

Teacher Tap: Internet Resources for Fine Arts

There seem to be as many resources as there is time to search for them. For now I will take my own experience and ability and feed it to those who are willing to learn. It is an exciting time.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette!

This picture is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Man is capable of many things but only the LORD can make a glorious sunset!

Good Luck with your class on Thursday. How I wish I could be one of your students! They are so fortunate to have you as their teacher and I'm sure they will benefit greatly. We will be on our way to the Netherlands. I'll say "hello" from you to Rembrandt!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Hi Beverly, yes the sunset was something else, wasn't it? Beautiful colours.

I'm sure your trip will be glorious. I'll be waiting to hear all about it when you return. Safe journeys.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the information Robin, I will look for that one.