Friday, April 06, 2007

Outside the zone

Its a holiday for me today so I spent my time catching up with some drawing. This is my effort with the baby orangutan on drafting film. Its been the first time I've seriously worked on this support and I have to say that I quite enjoyed using it.

There isn't much tooth to it of course so layers were a challenge and choosing colours became more crucial and I went outside my usual colour zone. The image changes slightly too depending on the colour of the paper you put behind it. Its currently on white. I have to look into how to frame this medium as its obviously too floppy to be framed on its own and needs a backing.

This drawing is done with coloured pencil and is about 11 x 14. The photo, as always, doesn't do justice to the colour of the drawing. In real life it has a softer glow to it and the colours are less intense in some areas, more so in others.

”The seed of your next art work lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece. Such imperfections (or mistakes, if you’re feeling particularly depressed about them today) are your guides -- valuable, reliable, objective, non-judgemental guides -- to matters you need to reconsider or develop further.”
-- David Bayles and Ted Orland.

2 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

It turned out really nice. He is so cute. Where did you get the reference photo?

I was at the grocery store today and they finally have those striped tomatoes you grow. I forget the name. Well these are not nearly as nice as yours. Bit things that are all gnarly almost like two tomatoes that morfed together. The colors aren't that nice either. They almost look dirty. Price was $5.98 a pound, and I bet one tomato was a pound or more. It's asparagus season here, so I bought those instead.

I can't wait to see the drawing of your granddaughter when it is finished. Jeanne

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jeanne. I found the image online.

The zebra tomatoes? I rather liked them taste-wise as they were meaty and the inside was unique, greenish yellow in colour. $5.98 a pound! Wow, I think you should be growing some of those in your garden, they'd do beautifully in the California weather.