Saturday, April 14, 2007

Stones & comfort

I've been lazy today and haven't ventured out, not even to the supermarket which is where I often end up on weekends. I'll tackle that another day. The north wind still blows so with the fireplace glowing, I tried my hand at something new - stone carving or etching.

In Newfoundland there is no shortage of rocks, slate, granite and my favourite, smooth, flat beach rocks. I went 'shopping' for my art materials in Middle Cove yesterday evening and came back with a bag full of all sizes, shapes and colours of stones. I have a rotary tool with diamond tip bits of various sizes, so I spent today getting a feel for what they can do. I'm impressed!

Its quite amazing that a little drill bit can cut into hard stone with relative ease. It's a messy business though with lots of dust everywhere. I'm still trying out bits and designs so will post something when (and if!) it works out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get a spray bottle and constantly coat the rock in water as it will keep the dust to a minimun.
P.S. I posted more Kiora pics.
Briony

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. And look at Kiora's photos too.

"JeanneG" said...

We bought an engraver machine at a home show over a year ago plus a generator. I tried it and didn't like the noise or the mess. My hubby had dreams of money mixing my art and the machine. Well he got disappointed. Then complained about the price. I told him to do it himself. Every time the generator came on, I jumped out of my skin and the diamond tip went skidding across what I was working on.

Any way a very expensive lesson. Have you checked out Monica Gillis' blog? She does celtic work on beach rocks. Her blog is listed at my site.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I bet Tripod won't hang around for that art.

Blade21292 said...

You know, I found you on Drawspace, and have followed you to Wetcanvas, and now here. Reading your blog and all the things you are into artistically just impresses me to no end. I really can't wait to see what you do with the engraver.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, Jeanne, I have seen Monica's blog, that was what inspired me to have a go at this. It is messy and a bit noisy too, also hard on my hand,b ut I'll see what comes of it.

Glad you're enjoying the blog, you never know what will happen with the engraver.

Monica Gillis said...

Hi, Jeanette!
Thanks for the comments a few days ago on my blog. Isn't carving fun! I find it almost magickal... watching that hard stone yield. Briony was right about wetting the stone to keep down dust - I got a battery-operated mister/sprayer for about $7 at the garden centre at Canadian Tire, and keep that set up next to the stone to do the spraying for me. I'm thinking of working in a shallow pan of water - just enough water to cover the stone, so I'm carving under water. That should eliminate all dust, but I'm wondering how I'll control the spatter. Also, please be sure to wear a mask and goggles. Safety first! ;) You don't want stone dust in your lungs.
I tried to do a bit of carving on a chunk of beach amethyst last night, and that didn't work out too well... the amethyst was too hard and ruined three bits right off the bat.
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Cheers,
Monica