Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Dog's nose

Study of a Dog's Nose
graphite 6 x 6
copyright Jeanette Jobson

Dog's nose are fascinating to me. They are all sizes, shapes and colour. I love the rubbery look and restaurant utility flooring texture. Its also great fun to draw them such as this study. I haven't created the best, shiniest, wettest dog nose, but I bet it's cold.

A Dog's Nose is also a drink. This is an exerpt from the San Francisco Chronical.


Gary Regan is the author of "The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft" and other books. E-mail him at wine@sfchronicle.com.


"OK, Professor, spill it. What's a Dog's Nose?" asks Jen.

"Ever read 'The Pickwick Papers'?"

"Can't say that I have."

"Well if you ever get around to it, you'll read about a certain Mr. Walker who blamed his love of the Dog's Nose for the loss of the use of his right hand." The Professor clears his throat and quotes the book, " 'If he had drunk nothing but water all his life, his fellow workman would never have stuck a rusty needle in him, and thereby occasioned the accident.' Wanna risk one, Jen?"

"Bring it on, Professor."

The Professor sends the stout back to the kitchen where Leo, the chef, heats it in the microwave and brings the glass back to the bar for The Professor to assemble the drink.

"What the heck is this anyway, Professor?" asks Leo.

"Dog's Nose, chef. And don't ask me why it's called Dog's Nose. I haven't the foggiest." Leo studies The Professor for a couple of seconds. "Stick your finger in the drink, Professor," the chef says. The Professor complies.

"Pretty wet, huh? Now tell me what color it is."

"It's, well, I guess it's black. What's your point?"

"Never mind, Professor. Just let me know if you ever figure out how the drink got its name. You know where to find me."



Dog's Nose

INGREDIENTS:

12 ounces Guinness (room temperature)

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 ounces gin

Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pour the Guinness into a large sturdy glass and heat it on high in a microwave for about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and gin and stir lightly. Add the garnish.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Terry Banderas said...

I would like to have a "Dog Nose" with you and sketch at the same time.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Well Terry, you're more than welcome, but you'd likely be sketching me making funny faces, as I don't like Guinness much.