Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rituals

These days people on planes are so engrossed in those little television screens built into the backs of seats, they are oblivious to anything anyone else is doing so sketching is usually undisturbed, except for comments by attendants or passengers on their way to the washrooms.

I've reached the end of my 'red' sketchbook and filled it with more images from traveling. I'm considering what the theme of my next sketchbook will be - colour again? More ephemera to add interest? Altered paper? I love the little stack of sketchbooks that appear in my art cupboard. They are proof of production and I like to take them out and thumb through them, remembering places, people and subjects. I see themes throughout them and understand how I have moved and grown as I progressed in time.

Today I taught a class but was still tired from my trip and rushing around ever since. I wasn't in the best of moods for a variety of reasons but had been asked to attend my god daughter's confirmation tonight. I really didn't want to go, but knew if I didn't she would be disappointed and I had obligation in my role as god mother to do so. So I went. The last time I was in a church was when my god daughter was christened, nearly nine years ago. So not bursting into flames as I entered the door was a good sign!

I don't have any religious leanings in me. For the most part, I find religious centres and leaders rather hypocritical. I enjoy learning about religions and how they are structured, their rituals and traditions, but I have no desire to become actively involved in one.

I had similar feelings tonight as I went with my god daughter for her to kneel before the bishop and be confirmed. He was a kind man and the ceremony itself brief. There was the child's usual giggles and chatter that covered up some worry about a first communion. "I have to drink wine! Will it taste funny?" There was that doubting, cynical part of me that sat through the service and read through the prayers and thought 'Someone prove this to me. Someone show me why I should buy into any of this ritual?' Who can get a degree in theology, then claim their calling was from 'god'? Which god?

However, the children were happy to have it over with, the adults equally content and all dispersed to the church hall for cups of tea and left over cakes and cookies from the previous day's fall sale. Another milestone in life safely tucked away, recorded on digital cameras and filed in memories.

4 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Maybe you should have taken your sketchbook with you and sketched the ceremony?

I know I love my sketchbooks. I'd be really distraught if anything happened to them.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You know I thought about it, but figured that it would be frowned upon as I was in the front pew under the minister's nose.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I'm sure you will fulfill your godmother role, Jeanette by bringing art into your goddaughter's life.
It always amuses me that as a non-chuchgoer I'm always more in awe and more respectful inside a church than the regulars ;)

Laurel Neustadter said...

I love your travel sketches. Your line work is wonderful. I also have a pile of past sketch books. I number mine; I am currently on #9. It does give a sense of accomplishment.