Sunday, December 02, 2007

Seasonal show

The little oil painting of figs that I did sold at today's show. It was one of the first of my re-emergence into oil paints after a long period of working mostly in dry media. I did a few small oils and am still playing with the medium and trying to find time to do more pieces as well as familiarize myself with the painting process.

I quite liked this little piece and was toying whether to keep it myself or let it go. The play of light and the colours of the figs was one of those happy accidents almost. Sometimes paintings just fall off the brush onto the canvas, other times they need a lot of thought and work put into them. This one was the former. It just seemed to flow without much assistance from me.

Figs
Oils on canvas board 5 x 7
copyright Jeanette Jobson

Today's show did remarkably well considering that the weather was atrocious. Rain, snow and wind dampened spirits and peoples' ability to get around. However, there was about a 30% sell rate which is remarkable considering that it definitely wasn't from passing foot traffic today. The setting was lovely and overlooked St. John's Harbour, pretty, despite the horizontal snow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely painting Jeanette. I am not surprised that it sold. I can't wait to see more of these.
Great to see that you are getting your work out and seen.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Robin, I'm anxious to do more work in oils and watercolours. I need a little break from graphite and coloured pencil.

Over the holidays may be just the time.

vivien said...

well done :) - and very nice

you really should do more oils :)

Billie Crain said...

Congratulations on the sale!!! you really seem to have a knack for oils, Jeanette. i DO hope you continue pursuing the medium.

Mary said...

Congratulations on the sale Jeanette. Lovely color and use of light.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Vivien, BIllie and Mary for the good thoughts.

Yes, I will be using more oils. I'm just trying to free up a bit of time to do so. Roll on Christmas - purely for the free time to paint!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Jeanette,

You're right...the light work in this fig painting is exceptional. Beautiful work.

Beverley Amah said...

I love you painting. The mixture of color is very nice. How does one get involved with the show and the association?