Sunday, February 24, 2008

Persistance of vision


We can think of ourselves not as teachers but as gardeners. A gardener does not 'grow' flowers; he tries to give them what he thinks they need and they grow by themselves. (John Holt)

I taught a children's drawing class today and had all girls in it. They were quite productive, as we concentrated on making thaumatropes and developed some designs. While they were intent on their work, I took the opportunity to do a little sketching of them working.

They were delighted to see themselves captured on paper and that fueled a discussion about how they could sketch and how to develop shapes that turned into people.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Jeanette, this is great. Lovely sketch and sounds like the class was a hit and successful.

"JeanneG" said...

Thanks for my "learn something new every day".

பாண்டித்துரை said...

Dear Friend
am indian Guy My Name pandiidurai
now am working in singapore accounts executive
am ya writter also (in my one of indian language ) done poem short story and article
some of singapore Tamil litratur friends and India (tamil Nadu -) Tamil Litrature friens plan to start quarterly litratrue magazine its prited book but we can send to only friends circle (cant sell in shop)
its non profit magazine
so we need do spend every quarter Us 800 - Us 1000.00
its we collect from our friends cirele
and who are send the article just we put thanks to them only
we cant pay them article and art etc
in that magazine we need some photos for to put story and poem side
we can use the arts from ur blog?
if we use we cant pay money.
but we mention to thanks ur name bottom of ur photos and art
hope my friend are u understand and engurage to me

pandiidurai@yahoo.com

friendly
pandia

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jo. The kids were a good group to work with. It varies each week, but always teaches me something.

I think we all do that Jeanne. :)

Pandia. All my work is copyrighted and you cannot use any of the visual content of my blog for publication

I have emailed you on this.

Billie Crain said...

thaumatrope...where do you find the names of these things?! i also learned a new word today. thx!

vivien said...

fascinating - I'd never heard of thaumatropes - and nice sketches too :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Billie, I was doing some research on Victorian toys and came across them. I remember making them as a child but didn't know the name of them either til now.

Thanks Vivien.