Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Drawing a rainbow


I'm an armchair cook most of the time. I like to watch cooking shows and read cookbooks and ferret out food blogs. It just seems it doesn't often translate into actually hauling out ingredients and pots and pans. I used to do a lot of cooking, but my days are long and incentive limited, so it only seems to happen at weekends these days.

However, it still doesn't stop me from wandering through good food sites such as Haalo's at Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once. This is my kind of blog. Its full of great recipes and fabulous photos. One of Haalo's images caught my eye the other day and I knew it was a match made in heaven for my Derwent Drawing pencils. I asked Haalo if I could use it and she kindly agreed. (Thanks again Haalo!)

The image was of a bunch of rainbow coloured carrots. Last summer I had used some of these colourful carrots that come in shades varying from cream to burgundy and the regular old orange! The colour fades out of them a bit in cooking, but they are wonderful to use in salads for a real contrast. This year I have seeds for the coloured carrots and will grow them along with the regular ones in what will be my new vegetable garden (if the snow ever melts).

Last night and tonight I made a start on the drawing. Its 11 x 14 done with my full set of Derwents, as I wanted some colour to pop in this drawing, yet have it remain fairly subtle. I'll update this image over the next few days and hope to have it finished at the weekend.

2 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette, I love what you are doing with this piece!

Rainbow coloured carrots?! Thanks for the link to the info. I shall try to locate some seeds. You have inspired me to pop some into my garden this spring. As for the snow...we still have tons of it here in Ottawa...I feel your pain.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Teresa. I haven't used the drawing pencils for awhile and had forgotten how nice they are to use.

Aren't the carrots neat? They're great fun to grow and eat. I especially love the burgundy ones. My package of seed for that variety is called 'Purple Haze'. Sounds like there will be some more drawing and painting of carrots this summer.