Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jinxing it

# 3 Compressed and vine charcoal
copyright Jeanette Jobson

You know, I'm not going to mention what I'm going to do in future, as it seems to jinx it.

Ever since I posted about doing a series of drawing tools, life has taken over and decided it wants me to do other things instead. Work is outrageous in terms of quantity its throwing at me and my mother's issues continue to be a concern. But I'm trying to outwit the powers that be and get in some art when I can.

I've become more comfortable with using charcoal lately, both in its raw form or compressed charcoal , available in round chunky sticks or in pencil form. I haven't used much powdered charcoal, but it is good for covering large surfaces, if not a bit messy!

Anti-stress medication
Coloured pencil in Moleskine
copyright Jeanette Jobson


Stress is affecting eating, lack of time is affecting eating, but even bad food is good drawing fodder. Like this Boston Cream donut... Hey, I only ate half of it!

5 comments:

Anita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

Perfect anti-stress medication! I use that too!

Isn't it great when you get to grips with a medium. I love charcoal now. I used to find that I could only do large, very loose drawings with charcoal but have learned that you can have incredible control with it.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I used to find charcoal quite intimidating, but now I know the detail you can get with it and how to control it and it takes on a whole new meaning.

Anonymous said...

Jeanette,
I can very much relate to a downward spiral we all fall into when stress builds. Good habits go out the window -- sleep habits, eating habits, discipline -- all leading to irritability (speaking for myself).

Cheers to you for keeping the daily drawing going. You have such good discipline in that area.

And good taste in donuts!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Please Ms, may I have the other half? The chocolate frosting looks fantastic.