Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rock

Rock I
Carbon pencil on Canson paper
copyright Jeanette Jobson

There is something satisfying to me about drawing rocks. Living on a rock in the ocean may have something to do with that as I'm surrounded by rocks.

I liked the porous texture of this rock. I often see these on the beach. They are part coral, part rock that have married into a new form. I love the intricate shapes that the new form creates and the challenge of developing subtle shading to portray those nooks and crannies within the piece. Lava rock is also very similar to the coral rock that I find, but formed by molten rock and gas bubbles, making it lighter than most rocks.

I haven't done much work with carbon pencils as I can never find them here, so this was an experiment. Its similar in feel to charcoal but has a 'lighter' feel to it and seems to go on more smoothly. I like the rich darks it can achieve along with the more delicate shading of the B grade pencil.

4 comments:

S.G. Chipman said...

I've been working with carbon pencils myself lately - I like them a lot, in that I can get much richer darks without the glare that comes with graphite.

Paulette said...

Hi Jeanette,
I recognized that rock right away.LOL
I love the work that I've seen with carbon. I will have to try it out.

Jennifer Rose said...

great rough texture to this rock :) don't think I have seen one before, nor tried carbon either. Might have to search around to see if I can find some.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I have to say that I like the feel of them too Steve. You're right, that glazed sheen isn't there with carbon pencils.

I'm waiting to see your rock Paulette...

Thanks Jennifer. If you can find a carbon pencil do try it. Its like charcoal sort of - more like a cross between charcoal and pencil.