Monday, August 18, 2008

Plein air oil

The lane to the marsh
oils 8 x 10 stretched canvas
copyright Jeanette Jobson


Today was warm and sunny so I decided to take advantage of the weather and try a little 'plein air' with some oils. I loaded up my bag and wandered around the lanes surrounding the farm til I came across this entrance into the woods. We had torrential rain on Sunday so the lane was filled with water.

I decided I would give myself an hour and see what I could come up with. This is the result. Rough but with potential.

Unfortunately, it was pretty windy today, so I spent a fair bit of time hanging onto the canvas to prevent it taking off. I also used a paper palette which, even though anchored onto my wooden palette still flapped around like a wet fish, premixing some of my colours!

I took a photo of the scene so that I could work on some details once I have a chance, perhaps later tonight or tomorrow. I haven't done plein air with oils for a long, long time and throughly enjoyed it, despite the wind.

No comments: