Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Heirloom update

Heirlooms
coloured pencil 9 x 12
copyright Jeanette Jobson

I've made a little more progress on this drawing of heirloom tomatoes. These are mostly Brandywine fruit in this piece and they come in many shapes and shades. One of my favourites is the dull red/green ribbed one on the left.

People complain that the Colourfix paper 'eats' coloured pencils. Yes the pencils do wear down more quickly but not at the rate that I was expected based on what others have said. I'll keep experimenting with the paper and have to say that I quite like the surface so far.

7 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette,
Your tomatoes look great! I really like how the colours look on the dark grey background. You seem to be a natural at this sanded surface business!

Jo Castillo said...

Yes, Jeanette. These look lovely. I've never seen these kinds of tomatoes. Nice drawing. I haven't tried Colourfix, only Pastelboard and to me the coloring goes much faster on the sanded surface than paper.

Kari Gibson said...

Looking gorgeous indeed. I use the pastel board paper which has that sanded surface for pastels and I like the way it "eats" the pastel, makes the painting more juicy!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Teresa. Its a learning curve, this sanded paper and the amount of pigment it will take to achieve the correct colour values.

I love these old fashioned tomatoes Jo and they taste fantastic as well. I would imagine pastelboard is a very similar surface to Colourfix. I love how the pencils go on to the surface.

I agree Kari, I think there is a very similar effect with cp on this surface. It seems to make the colours richer somehow.

S.G. Chipman said...

Colourfix and Pastelbord are similar, but not quite the same. Since Pastelbord is on panel, there is no soft give like you have with Colourfix, and its a bit grittier.

I've found that colors tend to saturate a bit easier on Colourfix - I like both, but am leaning towards Colourfix of late.

I just wish Colourfix smelled like Pastelbord...something about that smell makes me want to draw, hehe.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Good points Steve. Of course now you'll have me going around smelling pastelboard.:) And they already think I'm crazy...

vivien said...

these are looking really great :>)

I've never used Colourfix