Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Clementines

Clementines
Oils 4 x 6

I wanted a change from portraits, and wanted to clear my oil palette of old paints before tackling them again, so I grabbed a handful of clementines and headed to the studio. The light was too bright here - I should have set up a lamp to give more drama to the scene, so I gave myself a little artistic license to intensify the shadows.

I go through phases of needed colour and paint and then retreat to graphite or charcoal again. The frustrations of my current self portrait in oils make me kick myself for not practicing more in oils, when it used to be my medium of choice at one point.

I will try to do a couple of paintings a week if I can fit them in, just to ensure that I don't lose touch with painting.

3 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette, I love your clementines. Looks like everything you knew about oils is coming back! And to think you were just cleaning off your palette...

Anita said...

I agree you don't seem to be having any problems getting back to oils. Lovely juicy clementines - what I would do for one.
I've stopped cleaning my palette - I discovered the disposable pad kind and I love them. One page lasts me three or four paintings till its just too yucky then I tear it off and start a new one. I'd recommend them to anyone like me, who hates the mess of cleaning a palette!

Jo Castillo said...

These are lovely. I like to hear how you work and decide what to do. Inspiring.