Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Coming out


I think I'm fully 'out'. A blog, Facebook and now Twitter. Please don't let there be more programs- my aging brain may not cope! I am like this drop of water, great on my own, but may dissolve into a larger mass of technology once I fall.

I have been pulled or dragged into many elements of technology protesting, others I have explored willingly. Until now Twitter has been the part of technology that I was unwilling to enter. It has been mostly because I didn't quite understand it or how it could help me with art marketing or communication. I still don't understand it completely and will be feeling my way as I go.

I will give Twitter a trial period to see how it performs and how much it eats into my already dwindling available time. I believe that selectivity is the key with Twitter as with other technology. If you follow everyone, you can become overwhelmed easily. I want to use this method of connecting with other artists to network and to promote my art.

So bear with me while I creep around this new technology. I may stick with it or abandon it, depending on how it works for me. Who else is using Twitter and how is it helping you as an artist?

7 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jeanette, I too had worries about Twitter. As well, it is a little difficult to know how to get started with it. However, I have found it a useful way to get to know other artists. It's also useful for passing on and receiving links to good articles. Finally, I also joined some gardening groups (personal interest). When I have posted new artwork with flowers in it, people from those groups have passed on the link.

You do know that you can link your twitter and facebook updates, right? Also, with Tweetdeck you can monitor twitter and FB on the same screen.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette, I am on Twitter too, and it is good for connecting to other artists and such as, but like you say everything in moderation...it can become addictive and just eat into your time.

Unknown said...

Took a little while for me to work my way around Twitter. I'm so glad I have. I get my daily "fix" of information as well as having met some other cool twitterers. Used in moderation, it's a very powerful tool:)

vivien said...

This is a lovely sketch - very 3D :>)


and Twitter ..... haven't looked yet - I'll wait and see how you and K rate it

Sydney Harper said...

I actually started a Twitter account during our elections and then didn't use it for many months. Now I'm using it again. I use it in small doses when I have a spare 5 or 10 minutes. I get a lot of art information and other topics I'm interested in. It's good for getting to know people. I've also found that it's useful for local information. I had no idea so many people, organizations, and businesses in my little town were on Twitter. With Facebook, on the other hand, I have an account that I've done almost nothing with. I haven't even stuck a picture up.

Lisa Ullrich said...

I also just started Twittering and I really didn't know what is was all about. I do find that I find interesting articles that I probably would not normally stumble upon. I am too new at it to really know how it all works yet.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the comments about Twitter and its learning curve. I have lots to learn yet it seems. I don't want it to envelope my life, just be a nice enhancement for art.