Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Watercolour portrait



I've been working in oils last night and today and the result of that is posted on Watermarks today. The turps fumes were getting to me but I still wanted to do something so I tackled one of the portraits on WetCanvas July portrait thread in watercolour.

This is the initial drawing and the first layers of colour. I'm using watercolour pencils for this piece but my pans may come out as well depending on how it goes. I find that I can't acheive the depth of colour with the pencils as I can with pans. I also like the fluidity of the paint/water with pans, however the control that watercolour pencils give, especially for tight areas can't be beaten.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

This is a lovely drawing. I couldn't help but compare it to the little facebook photo in the right hand column. It looks like a pose that is quite normal for you.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Patricia, yes it does have the similar pose doesn't it? Perhaps I was subconsciously drawn to it. :)