Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Capelin companions


I started this piece a few weeks ago using 140lb stretched paper and it seemed so flimsy and just wasn't cooperating. However, I pushed through and the paper did, more or less what I wanted it to do, but I did go out and buy some sheets of 300lb paper which are wonderful.

This piece is 12 x 18 in watercolour. I drew random capelin on the sheet but when I was calling it done, it wasn't letting me say so. The botton left corner was too empty so I added in another fish over the blue background and now that fish has become one of my favourites.


The second piece is a companion of sorts and is 15 x 19.5 inches on 300lb Arches paper. I'm still not sure if its complete or not. Its sitting thinking about it. It was designed to be less 'busy' than the first. These were based on some photos I took of capelin from Middle Cove beach, taken in late July. These little fish are getting a lot of service and the freezer has a stock of them for when I want to do more prints.

3 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jeanette, I love these capelin. Your watercolors are just going from strength to strength!

Anonymous said...

I love that first fish piece...the composition is so good and of course those pearled colours!
ronell

Anonymous said...

I just love the way you work through these fish in so many different ways! And they all seem to work so well for you!!

(Agree w/ Rose, you use watercolor so well!)