Monday, September 28, 2009

Afternoon shadows

Afternoon Shadows
6 x 12 oils

After yesterdays unheaval with the ducks and the owl, I wanted to do something that I didn't have to think about too much.

This little oil painting is a 'plein air' and is of the view from the drive up towards the rear meadow and small greenhouse. I liked how the sun was bleaching the grass in bands as it filtered through the trees.

The paint is laid on pretty thick here. I was going for speed I think as the air was cool despite the sun and I wanted an impression of the scene in front of me, rather than realism and detail.

I also thought about greens and the abundance of them in trees and grass. As I have previously mentioned, my oils paints for green consist of two tubes: sap green and terre verte. The rest come from mixing various blues, yellows and white to try to vary the shades. Even the bench under the trees is green!

3 comments:

sue said...

Wonderful colors and rich, directional strokes.

Gary said...

Wonderful. Greens, it's like if we don't make special note today we know that we will be missing them soon enough. Your light effects are masterful.

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely sense of lighting :)
I think you did a good job with the greens that you did have.lots of different shades :)