Saturday, September 05, 2009

Capelin print


I was sketching in bed last night...yes I know, but that's what I do sometimes...and these little fish appeared that I thought might translate well into a linoprint.

I haven't used lino for awhile as the pressure from the cutting tool onto the harder lino causes problems in a forefinger that I hurt years ago. I remedied this a little today by heating the piece of lino in the microwave for about 30 seconds. It smells strange, but does the trick to make the lino more pliable and easier to cut.

This is one of the first prints and let's me see what still needs to be adjusted in the drawing. I will also play with coloured printing inks and I want to see what happens with a print if I add watercolours. I still need more printing paper as well and need to do a little research on what works well. Finding a Japanese printing paper locally is pretty much a nonexistant possibility, so I'll need to add that to my list for when I next do a mail order. However, in the meantime, I will use some Stonehenge for the final print run of this.

The print is about 4.5 x 7.5 inches.

6 comments:

owenswain said...

I really like this!

Robyn Sinclair said...

This is great, Jeanette. Love it!

I use regular printmaking paper but soak it for about ten minutes and then roll between sheets of blotting paper. If you are hand rubbing you might like to put a piece of baking paper over the damp paper to prevent damage.

Jennifer Rose said...

We don't have a microwave so I have to sit on the lino :p a microwave would be so much easier :p

I'm curious as how watercolours will work with this, how thick would you be using them? really watered down or thicker like acyclics?

Janet Davis said...

I have reason to believe that Tara Bryan (who is also in Flatrock) is a rep for the Japanese Paper Place.

For heating the lino, you can also try a light bulb in a desk lamp or a hot water bottle. I have big cast iron radiators that I use wintertime... the woodstove is the best though!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Owen.

Thanks for the tips Robyn. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Jennifer, I guess that works too, but a microwave is quick.

Thanks Janet. Tara and George buy chickens from us. I'll have to find out about the paper.

Yes any radiant heat like that would work wouldn't it?

Pat said...

Love what you are doing here. This looks like so much fun. I have to keep telling myself to just try to do something well instead of trying to do everything. You are so inspiring.