Sunday, November 01, 2009
Candy and awards
There is a factory in St. John's that produces a variety of baked goods that are unique to Newfoundland. One of these are a sticky, chewy toffee type of candy, called 'kisses' which come in several flavours and are wrapped in waxed papers of different colours. I had a bag of these and was playing around with composition and shapes and decided to start a painting of a trio of them.
This will be watercolour and I've started the drawing for it on a half sheet of 140lb Arches cold press. I may also work on another in graphite or charcoal, perhaps a single piece to get a feel for the piece. The folds and shapes of the paper wrapped around the roundish filling along with lettering, makes for a complex piece so it may take awhile to produce.
Billie Crain of Art by Crain has kindly bestowed the Kreativ Blogger award on me. Thanks Billie! In return I must pass it on to seven other artists and provide seven tidbits about myself that others may not know. I have done this before so I'm not sure if I have new information about myself but here goes.
1. I really dislike going to a hairdresser. I just want to get it over with as quickly as possible and I go as infrequently as possible.
2. I love jelly beans and as result buy them rarely, as I have no control over eating them.
3. I have to be alone to draw and have to have silence, but I can paint in oils with music playing
4. If I find a sweater or cardigan that I really like, I buy several of that style in different colours.
5. I sleep with an electric blanket as I'm always cold.
6. I could exist on cheese and crackers forever. But it must be good cheese.
7. I have absolutely no sense of direction.
As I have done this previously, I think I'm wearing out my welcome passing it on, so I won't do that. Instead I'd encourage others who would like to participate to pass on the award, share information about your self and know that your work and you are appreciated by me and many others.