Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Portraits and lighthouses



I've been fighting with a portrait for a couple of days, but hope that I'm conquering it now.  I decided on a fresh start and hope that will work wonders.  We too often second guess our first instincts and that often has bad results.  And sometimes the transition from small to large doesn't always go as planned.  But it only paper.  And if I have to start over 10 times, that is 10 lessons learned.




As a little change of scene, I thgouth I'd try my hand at this month's Virtual Paintout which is the Halifax region of Nova Scotia.   I know the area to some degree, or at least the more scenic parts and chose the classic tourist destination - Peggy's Cove.   This little lighthouse is perched on the edge of the Atlantic with surf worn rocks surrounding it.  Seas can be very rough at times there and tourists often stand on the rocks to watch them.  Bad idea.  A number of individuals have been washed out to sea by standing too close.  Rogue waves are notorious on the east coast.  Be warned!


View Larger Map

I made a little start on a watercolour sketch. I still have to finish the rocks and intensify values.  However, that will have to wait for a few days most likely, as I head to Toronto tomorrow on business for a few days.  I'll be back late Sunday night so will unlikely be posting to the blog until Monday.

I ordered a new camera that should arrive next week.  I have a couple of cameras, an old SLR Minolta and a little Canon point and shoot.  They provide reasonable photographs but the megapixel size of the slr is tiny compared to what is available now, so I figured it was time for something new.  A Canon Rebel EOS with an 18-55 and 75-300 telephoto lens should fit the bill for current needs without breaking the bank entirely either.

Now I just need to learn how to use it properly!

3 comments:

sue said...

Good luck with the new camera, Jeanette! I think this portrait is off to a beautiful start. Safe travels, and look forward to seeing your new work soon!

Jo Castillo said...

Enjoy the new camera. I loved Nova Scotia when we visited a few years ago. We still need to visit your world. Take care on the trip.

Gary said...

Great portrait going - looking forward to seeing it develop and your Peggy's Point painting. Have fun in Toronto.