Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fish



Sometimes it takes awhile before your niche finds you or you find it.

Over many years, I've explored many mediums and subjects.  My comfort zone tends to be living things - portraits of people or animals, but beyond that the other comfort zone that has become apparent to me in the last year or so is fish.

There is something fascinating about these creatures that live under the water.  They are mysterious, elusive, colourful, streamlined, and multipurpose for both art and life.

In the last year I have dabbled (pardon the pun) in a lot of aquatic subject matter and gyotaku is one of the techniques that I enjoy.  I also enjoy creating the shapes and subtle colour variations and irridescence of fish in watercolour or oils.

While the rest of my week is tied up with finishing some cats, this next project is hot on its heels.  This is an initial sketch for the piece that may well change in terms of background and there may be something in the ring.  I'm still not sure of colourways for this piece yet, but it will reveal itself.  I see gold and silver in its future.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

COOL Mandala! Of course I have to be
a little partial I'm a Pisces :)

Best wishes!

Dana

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Dana. I wasn't thinking mandala when I drew it, but yeah it could be one.

A Brush with Color said...

Ooooh--I love this design. Lovely, Jeanette! You're very talented.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Sue, you're very kind. I seem to be in fish mode these days. :)