Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lucky



I'm flitting between cat portraits and a watercolour.  The change of medium and subject makes a nice break in concentration.

I haven't drawn many detailed tabby cats and forget just how much detail is in their fur.  All that ticking makes me a little cross eyed after working on it for any length of time.  But its coming together, as long as my pencil sharpener holds out.  To create realism in fur, a very sharp point is required and my coloured pencils are sharpened frequently.

I never understand why some people are so reluctant to sharpen pencils.  Its as if the act uses needlessly some horribly expensive commodity.  I'm not a person to deliberately waste materials, but when they are needed to produce a piece and, in the case of coloured pencils, pretty inexpensive to replace, why not sharpen and have the best instrument at your fingertips?

Here's Lucky, with what I interpret as a look that could only say 'It wasn't me who broke it.'

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is looking great, Jeanette - I love the eyes...and it's really all about the eyes...

Jo Castillo said...

Very impressive. Your work is amazing. Love the look!

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying your cat portraits Jeanette.

Sue Clinker said...

I know that look! Love your work (cats especially) and now I've found your blog will be checking in regularly :o)

Jeanette Jobson said...

You're right Diahn, the eyes make or break the painting. If I get them right, the rest seems to go ok.

Thanks so much Jo.

Gayle, thank you. I often go and study your cat portraits for inspiration and technique.

Sue, don't we all know that look :) Thanks for stopping by, I hope to talk with more.

RH Carpenter said...

Lucky, indeed, to be portrayed by you in your beautiful colored pencil style. What an expression :) priceless!

Jennifer Rose said...

the fur looks very real here, well done :)

I hardly ever actually sharpen my pencils, not because I think its a waste, I just seem to work better with duller pencils lol

laura said...

Thank you for posting the stages of this portrait--it is magical watching you develop it (and perhaps a lesson to me to go more slowly!).
This is really coming along beautifully. I love, and have had many, tabbies but have never attempted to paint one.