Thursday, June 17, 2010

Closer to the drawer




Its been a busy week for me with not a lot of progress on the pelican and the feathers on the body are giving me grief.  Well, that's not completely true.  I'm just not in the mood to work in detail on the feathers of the body right now.  I have washes of colour in and they need some form to them.  I hope to come to grips with this within the next couple of days, otherwise the bird is at risk of going into 'the drawer'. 

You know the one.  Its where paintings and drawings go that aren't finished, you don't like how they are going, or you think that if you don't see them for awhile, you'll be able to revive them at a later date.

So this is the little update of the bird just in case he disappears from site for awhile.


Meanwhile a little strawberry leaf printed on black paper to cheer  me.  The shape and smell of strawberry leaves is wonderful and they're a beneficial herbal medicine too.  But right now, the leaf is a harbinger of fruit still to come.  If it ever does in this miserable cold wet spring/early summer we're having.  Poor plants are out there shivering and tonight on the news a farmer on the west coast of the province estimates a $10,000 loss of strawberries when late frost zapped a lot of the flowers on his plants last night.  It seems the cold doesn't want to let go this year.

8 comments:

sue said...

Not the dreaded drawer! Hope he makes it! he's beautiful

Billie Crain said...

I've never really painted feathers so I can't offer any worthwhile advice but I'd sure hate to see this fella wind up in 'the drawer'. Since you've done such an incredible job on the head/bill could you just 'suggest' feathers on the body? Something subtle and not terribly detailed.

That red ink print on black paper is so stunning. A real winner, IMO.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Hope this stays out of the drawer - I am so impressed with what you have done so far. The expression on the pelican is magnificent.

Unknown said...

He's magnificent. I also hope he stays out of the drawer.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I wrote a comment here early this morning, obviously Blogger ate it. Its done that a couple of times this week.

I will do some more work on the pelican over the next few days and hopefully he'll avoid the drawer! :)

RH Carpenter said...

Well, you could leave him, as is, and call it done :) I find the head and beak is really what it's all about and that gorgeous background helps, too. Although I absolutely hate strawberries (ugh), I do like this leaf print very much.

Gary L. Everest said...

Ms. Jobson,
I think this pelican is great. The color, composition and feeling really work for me. Well Done.
Gary.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Gary, thanks so much for your kind comments. The pelican was saved from the drawer. :)