Tuesday, July 27, 2010

...good intentions...


I haven't done a lot of drawing lately and I miss it.  And even when I get a chance to draw, they are more sketches or studies than finished drawings.

I started this little portrait of a whippet and his cat pal. Again, time got the best of me and good intentions to complete it lost and it joined the pile of other good intentions to be finished at a later date.

I loved the expression on the dogs face.  The cat was so unique, all wrinkled and hairless.  Poor thing would freeze here or roast in the summer. However the pose was interesting and I *will* return to this to create a full portrait soon.

This study was done in coloured pencil, Coloursoft, in an 8 x 10 sketchbook.

11 comments:

laura said...

I love the dog's expression too--those eyes are wonderful. Your drawing is really superb, with diligent craftswomanship and your fine artist's eye.
I really do wish I could draw like that.

Leslie Hawes said...

Love the portrait.
I just overfed your fish :)

Gayle Mason said...

Lovely portrait even without any further work.
The whippet expression is wonderful.

JANE MINTER said...

the study is gorgeous

Jeanette Jobson said...

Laura, thank you. Drawing is my first love and the technique I've had most practice with. Its always my comfort zone.

Leslie! Bloated fish, but they love you. :)

Gayle, doesn't he have a perfect expression? Its that same worried look that my old dog would have when the cat sat next to him on the sofa. lol

Thanks Jane. I'm trying to decide what medium the portrait will be in. I think these pencils work for it and its time I did some drawing too.

A Brush with Color said...

Wow--you really captured this character--what a sweetheart! Beautiful, Jeanette. It's amazing that you can convey an entire personality with pencils...that's such a gift.

vivien said...

beautifully done - those soulful eyes are wonderful

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

Beautiful. Looks like a finished work of art.

Unknown said...

Excellent to see one of your drawings again Jeanette. Gayle is right: great portrait without having to finish it..those eyes are speaking "loud and clear":D

Jan said...

Definitely use cp for the finished drawing - this is just incredibly wonderful!

Vivien said...

Lovely drawing. I think it looks fine as it is (perhaps with a bit more suggestion of colour and form, but nothing too worked-in). The "unfinished" areas give an effect of movement and mystery.