Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Christmas is coming - for artists



Yes I know that phrase strikes hard into most people, but if you are an artist, and you sell your work, as most of us do, you need to prepare for Christmas collectors in the summer and have your options in place by November 1st at the latest.

I've been considering my Christmas market and what I will offer.  This year I will be setting up a separate holiday page on the blog with a variety of options for individuals looking for holiday related art.  There will be items at all budget levels and some free things as well.

I will create a marketing plan and a mini business plan for the season that may well become cross-seasonal and useful for other times in the year.  Planning is the only way that I can achieve goals and have measurable results.  I'd really encourage those who don't plan to sit down one day and just jot down some ideas of what you want to achieve, how you will do it and how you'll know if you did it.  You'd be surprised what you can achieve.

Some things to look for from me for the holiday season?

  • A new holiday card, as well as the 2009 Christmas Hares one.  I like the concept of having a series of cards created over time.
  • A series of holiday related paintings, drawings, and gyotaku prints for sale.  These will range from $20 upwards.
  • Gift certificates will be available 
  • A special commission price will be made available only for the holiday season for portraits of animals or people.  These will be 5 x 7 pieces only.
  • Sets of gift tags using some of my paintings.  Some will be for sale, some will be free for the asking.
I have more tricks up my sleeve, but for now, that's a few to start with.  All will be revealed on November 1st.

What are your artistic marketing plans for the holiday season?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful.. I love it!

kisses from Brasil

http://voudescarpin.blogspot.com

Billie Crain said...

Funny you should bring up Xmas cards now. I was just thinking about a new card for the coming holiday season. I cut things pretty close last year so no surprise I didn't sell out before the holidays. Imagine my surprise when all my remaining Xmas cards sold this summer. I find it hard to make a plan when the art market is so darn unpredictable.:(

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I always plan to late although this year I have gotten better at planning. Looking forward to seeing your Christmas offerings.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Thanks for your tips of the Xmas season selling. I do quite a few Xmas Art Markets here as well as Easter Art Fair and I have been doing some Xmas things since June...but am in full swing as of 1 Sep......the crush is on:)