Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ferryland Islands



On the southern shore of the Avalon Peninsula is the small, but historic town of Ferryland.

Just offshore lie a group of small islands, some of them no more than rocks jutting out of the ocean.  Others are large enough to support plant life and a couple have a gravel beach where kayakers sometimes land.

On the day I was in Ferryland, the weather was warm but grey and still as a thunderstorm had passed through. The sea and the sky were very similar in colour and the ocean was the calmest I had ever seen it.  If the islands have names I do not know them and names don't seem to be listed anywhere.  But if anyone knows if they have names, I'd be interested to know them.

The soft light highlighted the vegetation colours on the islands and the cool greys of the water and sky and I knew I had to paint it.  This is painted in oils on a 6 x 12" gallery canvas.

This painting is available for sale on the Available Original Work page of this blog.

8 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thank you Gary.

Dhiraj Deka (D.D) said...

Beautiful painting. I loved the calm atmosphere of this painting. You have captured it nicely.

olivia said...

Calm down, soft and melancholic. It is very beautiful Jeanette. I also like looking at the yellow lichen on rocks. It is true that the grey sky emphasizes them. Kisses.

Jan said...

This is really beautiful. What your fishies drink is as beautiful as your fishies!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks D.D. It was an unusually calm day for the Atlantic, I'm glad that came through in the painting.

Olivia, I have a fabulous photo of yellow lichen on a rock at this same spot. I must share it.

Jan, Newfoundland does have clean waterways (touch wood) and I like to think it will stay that way for the sake of the fish and for us too.

Nick said...

great piece, atmospheric, split horizon works with those rocks cutting through it. yeah!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Nick. I was wondering if I dare do a half and half split then figured the rocks would break that up.

JANE MINTER said...

how very beautiful jeanette