Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Savage Cove fog


The landscape around Newfoundland is very rugged,often with steep rock cliffs of slate running in sheets into the sea below and jagged edges poking up through the water as if they were the protective fortress around the cliff.

This is Savage Cove. I'm sure some of these rocks were what gave the place its name. It has a small rocky beach surrounded by these dark grey shards of rock on both sides with the horizon open forever. Except on this day the horizon melted into the sea and sky with a fog bank sitting on the edge.

This is the start of the piece. I wanted to capture the greyness of the day, the water, the rocks but still give a sense of water and sky. The base colours are there, time to add some detail now. Its acrylics on 8 x 10 canvas board.

6 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Well captured.

Pat said...

Looking good!

Yelena Shabrova said...

It has a chilly, misty feel to it even under the warm light, I like it.

Cindy Ellison said...

Beautiful painting! I really enjoyed the YouTube of Newfoundland, it was stunning.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work ♥

Christiane Kingsley said...

Beautiful start! Even without the details you will be adding, this painting has captured the scene and the feelings it evokes.
I have been to Newfoundland only one - for a business conference. I took a day with colleagues to drive along the coast. Wow! It is

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jean and Pat.

Yelena, all the colours seemed to meld together that day. I want have that feel but still get a sense of separate elements.

Thanks so much Cindy, glad you enjoyed seeing a little of the province.

Its a unique place Christiane and scenes like this are so common I guess I'm a little jaded. I keep trying to open my eyes to them.