Saturday, January 22, 2011

The sea



‘O Man, so long as you are free you will cherish the sea! The sea is your looking glass; you contemplate your own soul in the infinite unfolding of its waves, while your mind is a no less bitter gulf.’
Charles Baudelaire, 1852

 I'm in a bit of a slump at present, and seems that most of what I try my hand at fails.  However, today I had some inspiration for a new piece and am in the process of drawing it out on a half sheet of 200lb watercolour paper.

This sketch of a wave rolling onto the beach at Middle Cove helped move me into creative mode.  The complexity of drawing or painting water is endlessly interesting and I've been browsing online, searching for artists who create water.  The study of others work is so helpful and provides additional information and inspiration to me.

8 comments:

Hedera said...

It's that time of year Jeanette - I'm sure you'll soon find yourself moving completely out of the dreaded slump! I've never attempted water... you've captured the wave bearing up and down again beautifully!
Best of luck.

Yelena Shabrova said...

I hope sketching will help you get out of the slump, Jeanette. It usually works for me. The wave looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Somebody told me once after I was describing a "lull" in my work that I was just taking time to get a running start for my next one.
:)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sketch this is. Congratulations!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Who said:" The person who does not fail 50% of the time is not trying hard enough!"? I think that everything we do is part of the learning journey...and sometimes, we just have to take some time to look and think instead of producing. It's all part of the creative process.

The sketch is great, by the way:-)

Unknown said...

As Hedera said, it's that time of year. Big hug to help with the slump >8<

This is a great sketch!!!!!

Congratulations on finishing your book.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You're likely right about the time of year Hedera. Seasonal changes seem to affect my art. However, I've got a piece I'm working on now and taking my time with it.

Yelena, thanks. I enjoy sketching and need do do it more.

Good analogy Tracy! I may just need that running start for what I'm working on now.

Yes, that's true Christiane. Failing is always a learning experience, even if you don't feel that way at the time.

Thank you Sue. I think its moving on. I appreciate the support.

A Brush with Color said...

Stunning, Jeanette!