Sunday, February 06, 2011

Romanian hay stacks

Haystacks at Magura


This month's Virtual Paintout is in Romania.  Its a region of the world that I know little about, so I had a interesting time wandering in urban and rural areas and seemed to find something new to paint everywhere I looked.

As usual, I head straight for the countryside, as I love to know how other parts of the world farm for food, raise animals, etc.  Its usually just a different scale of things but the buildings and landscape change, sometimes dramatically.

This piece was of haystacks in or near Magura, Romania.  I loved the little hand built stacks supported by frames of wood and knew they'd have to be painted.  I used acrylics on an 8 x 10 canvas board.


I had painted over a previous image with red and like how that shows through and gives warmth to the piece.  The red complements the greens well here.  I must use more coloured grounds under my paintings as they add a richness.

5 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

Very nice painting. I find it very interesting getting a glimpse into other cultures and ways they live. It's unusual how many different ways that hay gets stored. In one country there were portable cement mixers in about every yard, in others they had trampolines in about every other yard. And the one thing that has been consistent in all places is satellites mounted on the houses. Even the small villages. I love the internet especially as it lets me travel when I was never able to in person.

Lydie said...

It's funny, your hay stacks remind me of "les meules" of Monet. Beautiful painting!

Lori Forester said...

Love your painting. I liked these haystacks too!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes Jeanne, it is fascinating to glimpse places that we likely won't see in person.

You're right Lydie! I didn't make the connection until you mentioned it. Not a quarter as good as Monet's I fear, but the haystacks have a timeless appeal.

Thanks Lori. You have to let me know if you paint them as well.

Unknown said...

Interesting glimpse of Romania in a lovely painting.

I still haven't started Boston :(