Thursday, March 10, 2011

FISH



I've had an idea simmering for awhile for a painting that could act as the front piece or banner for my work with fish and water.  I've searched around for ideas and finally came across this neon sign FISH.  It was perfect!   The photo was taken by Thad and was on stock.xchng.

This is on a half sheet of 200lb paper and I've spent some time tonight drawing it out and now comes the fun of masking the letters then starting on the background which includes diffused reflections from the neon lights.  I'm hoping the quinacridone colours will help me out a bit here and I'll experiment a little on some scrap paper to see what works best before I commit to it on a larger scale.

The image itself here needed a bit of manipulation to make it viewable online as the initial lines are quite faint on the paper.  This is why it may look a bit mechanical here.

6 comments:

Lydie said...

Good idea Jeanette. I expect to see the color of your banner.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

What a great idea!

Threadspider said...

That's a brilliant idea!

Jennifer Rose said...

what a great idea :)

Billie Crain said...

I agree with the others...great idea! I hope you will do a wip. I'm anxious to see how you achieve the neon effect. That's something I've never tried to tackle.

Jean Spitzer said...

From your description, it sounds like it's going to be beautiful.