Saturday, April 02, 2011

Bubbles

 
 Bubbles
4 x 12" oils

I started to draw up a large piece of water related art today but it just wasn't working so I'll leave it til the morning.  Instead I finished up a small oil painting that I had started of goldfish in bubbly water.  The illusion of having the fish under the water instead of sitting on top of it can elude sometimes. 

The bubbles become tiny paintings in their own right and the movement of water helps with the illusion.

Artists are magicians, creating illusion with colour and light where once there was white space.

There are some of my photographs available on this blog and today I put those and more on my website and will add more as they become available.  I'm considering using some of my photographs as art cards.  Perhaps you can tell me your favourites to help my decision.

5 comments:

Billie Crain said...

Love your bubbles! That's the one thing I've noticed about art work depicting fish in water..they invariably look like they are swimming above it. You conquered that problem beautifully.

My suggestions for art cards: Big Apple and Little Hearts Ease...two of my faves.:)

Unknown said...

These fish are definitely under the water and the bubbles are amazing.

Sandra Busby said...

This is fantastic art - I am in complete awe!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Billie, thanks. It is hard to make them look as if they're under the surface sometimes isn't it? Thanks for your suggestions on the art cards.

Thanks Sue, I'm glad it comes across as underwater to you. The bubbles are fun to paint.

Sandra, thanks for the kind words.

Jennifer Rose said...

*claps* you did a wonderful job with the fish under the water. they do look like they are under the water, rather then hovering above it like I see in a lot of work