Saturday, April 30, 2011

Limpid continued


I'm deepening values in the wave and creating a stronger form to it.  I've started to add overall shading to the water in the rear and will work on the foam in the foreground soon too. The wave itself is a little shelf of smooth water just before it crests and topples over with the shelf reflecting the foam gathering behind it onto the water leading to the crest.


I'm using thin layers of oils which gives a tacky but not slippery surface to paint on.  I'm now adding poppy seed oil to thin the paint a little for the wave crest instead of liquin or turps.  I'll continue on with liquin and turps until I get the rear and foreground values in place. 

I've also decided on a name for the piece.  Limpid.  The wave is soft and gentle, clear water moving slowly.  Thesaurus also works well in looking for inspiration for names of pieces.

4 comments:

John Andrews said...

Very nice. And great name!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

This is getting better and better, the light is delicious. I love watching waves develop.

RH Carpenter said...

Looking just beautiful so far :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks John. Its so difficult sometimes to come up with a name for a painting!

Its good that there's an endless supply of waves to study isn't there Lisa? :)

Rhonda, thanks, glad you're enjoying it.