Thursday, July 14, 2011
Wax batik fishwife - WIP
I've enlarged my drawing and put it on a piece of Japanese paper - I can't remember what kind it is right now. It was a piece left in a pile and not labelled so I'll have to hunt to figure out the type of paper it is. The piece is about 10 x 15.
I've decided to try a batik piece with it, using wax and watercolour. I've done faux batik before using masa paper and that turns out well. Now armed with and old griddle, a tiny cast iron pan and a chunk of beeswax that I had (it smells sooooo good), I'm off to the races.
Well races doesn't really sum it up, as batik is a slow process and I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly or not yet. Basically, its a bit like using masking fluid, adding it layer by layer over areas that you want to save as you add progressively darker layers.
Its early stages yet and I have some initial layers in place that I've put pigment washes on and have now added a layer of beeswax over that to preserve it before my next layer of paint.