16" x 20"
Unryu paper, wax batik/watercolour
After my first experiment with wax batik on paper, I knew I wanted to do more. This weekend I remembered that I had a design purchased ages ago from Kathie George who produces beautiful batik paintings. I dug it out and figured it would be a good way to get some more experience with this technique.
I used some unryu paper and spent a laborious morning drawing and waxing initial layers. The fish are the simple part, the intricate borders were a challenge. Usually these borders are done with a metal pattern dipped in wax and applied like a stamp to the paper or fabric. Without one, I had to draw it by hand.
I took images all along the process and will post them another time. I like the final result, however the paper was perhaps a little too fragile for this technique and developed a couple of tiny tears. Nothing that cannot be cured once mounted. Also, I'm looking still for a local source of paraffin wax as beeswax alone is too soft and doesn't crackle in the final stage as I want it to. Seems canning/bottling supplies are not carrying this as much as they once did. Another tradition by the wayside perhaps.
Now with another under my belt and some lessons learned, I have a few more ideas for pieces that I'd like to try.