Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Clementine update



I've added a few more details to the clementine that I started a couple of weeks ago, trying to find the exact moment when the colour and value work together instead of competing against each other.   With the peel that moment is a struggle.  I thought the peel would be the easier part of this painting.  Guess I was wrong there, its kicking my butt!

So another few layers, another day or two of drying, then another few layers and hopefully I can declare it complete.

5 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

The undulating roundness of the fruit is gorgeous! Would a whisper of violety-blue glaze on the peel help? Tricksy thing to paint, the tonal contrasts make this a very striking image.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Lisa, I'm playing around with blue/violets but keep coming back to transparent brown oxide for the shadow on the peel. The blue/violet seems to not look quite right or I'm putting it on too heavily.

I'll keep tinkering. :) Thanks for your valued suggestion.

Elena said...

Oh, the light is wonderful.

suzanneberry said...

this is coming along beautifully! doesn't look like you're having any problems with the peel! so looking forward to seeing it completed.

Jennifer Rose said...

its always what looks simple that causes a problem :/ its looking good so far :)