Monday, December 19, 2011

Silver ornaments - in progress



I'm still undecorated for Christmas for the most part, but I'll get there.  As long as I have the tree up by Christmas Eve, I'll be doing fine.  I have been unearthing decorations and pulled out a couple of special ones.  These are Indian and the one on the left is a cone made of pale blue crazed glass captured in a cage of silver.  I love the intricate nature and detail of it.   The ornament on the right is silver, lined and indented in perfect symmetry.  They are too heavy to place on a tree, so they are reserved for a bowl or nestled in a centrepiece of greenery to give some sparkle from candle light.


I haven't done a pen and ink piece for a long time, and not one using pointillism.  It seemed I was foiled at every attempt by all my technical pens.  They were cleaned, emptied and put away after the last project, but still will not let ink flow to the nibs.  I turned eventually to a little Micron pen to satisfy my 'dotting' need.

Here is the progress of the piece so far.  I do a little dotting during the news or a few minutes in the morning before work then it slowly builds.  Perhaps it will become next year's Christmas card. Its on 9 x 12 Bristol smooth, the drawing itself is about 5 x 8 inches.

4 comments:

Frank Zweegers said...

Amazing ornaments and so detailed. I love your style!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thank you Frank, these are great fun to draw.

JANE MINTER said...

wow ..very fine details ...will be beautiful when it's finished jeanette ...congratulations on the magazine article ...wishing you and your family a very happy christmas auguri jane

Wai Li said...

I remember a piece I did with ink.. I dropped ink on the paper when I'd almost finished... a little piece of me died that day. lol. I love your work. I was thinking of attempting ink again and you've inspired me. Thanks.