Saturday, June 23, 2012

Duck feathers

SOLD

I tried some more prints with the gelatine plate today.  I was trying some capelin that I defrosted but they were still a little too cold and damp to work well so I hunted in the barn for other things and while filling up the water bucket for Lucky and BD I picked up a few of their feathers and thought I'd try them.

These are the results.  They do make great imprints for the plate and I loved that turquoise blue colour as the base, providing contrast but not too strong.


One other print from last night's gyotaku prints with the star fish didn't work out as well as I wanted, so I played around with adding some colour to it today.  Shots of bright pigment in watercolour overlaid the original acrylic.  Despite the dark blobs of original error, I like the potential for adding additional colour overlays for these prints.

I've put a few of the pieces up on Etsy for sale.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Like the middle one best. I guess this is quite small.

Hedera said...

Another very interesting process Jeanette. I do like the lovely, subtle layering of pattern and colour in the first image. :)

ashok said...

very interesting!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, they are just 6 x 6 with a 1.5 inch border around. I like the detail of the feather on the second one too.

Hedera, the colour appealed to me most in this, and how soft the feathers look with the layering.

It is interesting to print with gel plates ashok.

Susan said...

Love your work, Jeanette. The process is so fascinating and the results are intriguing and glorious.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks so much Susan. I love the element of surprise in never quite knowing what the final print will look like. Each one is like a gift.

Jennifer Rose said...

very neat looking :)

when i get one of these plates i will be the strange lady walking around picking up random pieces of junk on the steet to try out :p

the watercolour works really well on the print, still lets the texture of the starfish show up :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, pretty much anything could be used I guess. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

This Japanese paper receives watercolour quite well and the acrylic based stops it from spreading all over the place too.

JANE MINTER said...

love the feathers jeanette ..beautiful

Jeanette Jobson said...

thanks Jane, they do leave a lovely ghost-like image.