Friday, March 08, 2013

Inchworm


inchworm sm
Bugs.  Shudder.

Those who know me know I don’t tolerate insects well.  I’ve been known to sleep in other rooms if a moth invades.  Wasps and bees freak me out and I loathe spiders and barely tolerate earthworms. Even butterflies are just colourful moths to me and I don’t want them anywhere near me.

Inchworms?  Well they’re a little different.  They’re tiny, or at least the ones I knew were, and a lovely chartreuse colour. I remember playing games with them with I was a child, watching them pull up their centres and stretch out again to move ahead.  I loved seeing their strength as they extended their tiny bodies to test for the next landing point, waving gently back and forth

Who remembers this song and your own adventures with inchworms?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OOh, I love the inchworm song.... 'measuring the miracles'... I should download that on itunes! And I love your painting too! What a cute idea!

Unknown said...

Lovely drawing and perfect colours.

vandy said...

I'm generally not a fan of worms, but yours is just right. He's fat, and colourful, and quite delightful.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I'd forgotten completely about that song Katherine til I heard it again. It is lovely and very soothing.

I'm not a green fan Sue, so mixing just the right greens for this little guy was a challenge until green gold saved the day with a touch of yellow overlaid.

RH Carpenter said...

I'm not a fan of greens, either, but he is beautiful!! I thought it was "Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds..."? Now I have to listen to the song again!

Jennifer Rose said...

i use to play with bugs as a kid :p collected snails and butterflies (alive)
i have no problem now with bugs, i am usually the one who captures bees and wasps and then lets them free (stung a lot when i was a kid, dont even think about it now :p)

inchworms are really cool to watch, hard to believe such a little thing is so strong

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jen, I still am creeped out by bugs, not really sure where it came from, but even drawing them can be odd too.