Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jellyfish



 I'm fascinated with jellyfish and depicting their shape and movement in the water.  Light passes through them and creates amazing colours that you'd never think possible.  Blues, yellows, purples, reds...  However, this sketch is simple pen and ink, finely hatched.  The beauty of the jellyfish is that the shape is simple but complex too, allowing the pen to build up layers to create form without worrying about strokes out of place.

I love to see them floating in the water, long tentacles trailing into the dark water.  Their movement is so graceful, like a ballet in water. But have you ever seen a jellyfish like this one?  The comb jellyfish, a voracious feeder, eating its own weight in food daily.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful drawing Jeanette.

It reminds me of the veils I love drawing, similar build up of translucent layers.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Translucent things are a real challenge to draw I find. But I'm happy it turned out well.

Great to see you post in the March Sketch a Day too. That beach village sounds as if it could keep you occupied for a long time.

Billie Crain said...

Excellent drawing, Jeanette! I enjoyed the video as well. I think jellys are the most graceful creatures in the sea. Fascinating buggers.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Billie. They are beautiful to watch in the water I agree.