Sunday, March 23, 2014

Seasons

12 x 24 oil on canvas

I am longing for spring with some heat in the sun, a glimpse of green grass, crocuses popping up and people smiling more.  It has been a long, cold winter that doesn't want to relinquish its hold on the land.  Its snowing as I write this, yes March 23rd.  Snow.  Sigh.


The change of seasons with longer days, brighter light and hope for summer can affect how I paint to some degree.  I know with these grey skies interspersed with hints of spring have me creating paintings that reflect light, pastel colours and feeling of warmth in them.

Seasons don't usually affect how much time I spend in the studio.  If I have to produce, I have to produce, its like any job - you have to put in the hours to get the product out.  But the breaks and day trips are longer as the land grows again and crops need tending, chickens need feeding and eggs need gathering.
18 x 24  oil on canvas

Light fuels inspiration too.  While grey days produce beautiful light, sunlight glowing through a leaf is always breathtaking.  Sketching moves outside the confines of a car when outside.  In winter, its just too cold and uncomfortable to perch on a snowbank or frozen puddle and sketch no matter how inspiring the view, so its done from a car. Sketching in summer and spring gives a new lease on creativity and feels different.  There is a freedom there that only the seasonal light and warmth can  bring.



How does spring affect your painting rhythm?


1 comment:

Clipping Path India said...

I have read your blog post on "Seasons" & it was very informative. I will visit your site again. thanks.