Monday, August 18, 2014

Lucky


 Lucky
5" x 7"  oil on canvas
NFS

When animals pass on, I like to commemorate their passage with portraits.  Lucky was around for a long time and Lily was more the newcomer of just a few months before the fox changed all that.

Lucky in Sunshine
Stillman & Birn Gamma Series sketchbook
Pen and watercolour
7" x 10" 

White Pekin ducks are lovely creatures, so pristine white with brilliant orange beaks and legs.   I did a little watercolour sketch of Lucky and with some paint left on my palette from another painting, decided that I would create this little 5 x 7" painting using a small palette knife.  I love the texture a knife can provide, but find going this small with one can be a challenge.

Lily will be next for her portrait when I have a spare moment to fit her in.

I use what I consider 'fast' mediums when I create sketches.  These are paints that dry quickly such as watercolour or acrylic, along with pen and ink or graphite.  But it doesn't stop me from adding oils if the mood takes me.  The sketch demands the medium and all dry eventually.  The beauty of a Stillman & Birn sketchbook in most all of the series that I've tried, is that the paper is quite substantial and will take a lot of water and stand up well.


3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

very fitting tributes :)

RH Carpenter said...

So sorry you lost your little friends. What a handsome fellow Lucky was - and I LOVE the watercolor version, so fresh, few brushstrokes telling the story, wonderfully done! I admit, I am partial to watercolor :) Looking forward to seeing Lily soon. I do like the Stillman & Birn papers - especially the 180# - all three of them would work well with much wet and loose work.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I do love my ducks Jen. :)

Thanks Rhonda. I tend to use watercolour more for sketches and wash with pen these days. I love the speed of it in adding colour to a scene.

I agree about the S & B paper. I find that even the 100lb ones still take quite a bit of water without buckling. Very versatile.