Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mixed apples



I love apples.  I mean, really love apples.  In their natural state, cooked, preserved, apple butter, apple pie...on and on.  I can't resist them.

So what is more natural than planting apple trees to ensure your own crop?  Perfect idea, right?  So there are six or seven trees planted a couple of years ago with just that idea in mind.

It seems that nature has its own ideas in this part of the country and the weather always seems to get the better of the poor trees.   It might take the form of a late frost that kills the flowers, but more likely its the wind.  When you live on an island, wind becomes almost a constant.  Probably not wind that you're thinking of.  This is gale force, rip limbs off trees, blow away anything not tied down wind that is much more common than I ever remember.  And it isn't kind to young apple trees.   Yes, the trees are staked.  Yes, the wind blows the stake and tree sideways.


However, for the last couple of years there have been some apples growing!  Until the wind blows them off the tree.  Literally.  Its so disheartening I could cry.  I mean, its not too much to ask that I have enough apples to make a pie is it?  And they make such wonderful subjects for painting too.

But, to the rescue, a friend with a couple of apple trees that are older and more sheltered perhaps that are doing well.  So he provided a sack of apples with offers of more where they came from.  I think there will be some apple turnovers arriving on his doorstep soon as a thank you.

The apples are a mix of Golden Delicious and a little intensely red and gold one that looks almost like a crab apple but is sweet with pink tinged flesh.  A mix of both of those were chopped up for a Cinnamon Apple Crumble muffin that I made tonight.  A handful were the subject for this little study on paper using mixed media of anything from coloured graphite to charcoal to pastel and acrylic.  And I may not be finished yet.

PS  Don't get sidetracked by painting when you have muffins in the oven.  Like I did.  I hope they are salvageable.

10 comments:

Billie Crain said...

Ohhh...they look good enough to eat. I'm a big apple lover myself. I eat one every day for lunch with some cheddar cheese. Simple and so delicious.

PaintedSouvenirs said...

I am an apple lover too. I'm crazy about the green ones. And I agree with Billie, they look very tasty.

Jeanette Jobson said...

There's something appealing about drawing and painting apples. And they are always more complex than initially thought.

Yes, the green ones are good - I must do a study of one of the golden delicious ones next.

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Jeanette,
What a sad story, but with a wonderfully delicious sounding happy ending!
You've done a fine job in both words and paint, awakening my taste buds. Great looking apples with such rich red ripeness.
Best of luck with those young trees, Jeanette!
Sincerely,
Gary.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Luscious and lovely! it feels as if I can see you thinking about where each stroke goes on the paper/canvas surface throughout the whole process. I love that in an artists work.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Gary, you need to be dedicated to grow things in this province. Sometimes its just downright annoying. But some apples are better than no apples!

Gwen, tentative steps are always present in a study. Its an experiment in shape and colour and good to see the decision making (and remaking) behind it.

Jennifer Rose said...

such a wonderful shine to all the apples! :D

i am the only person here who likes apple pie :( so I can't make one because I shouldn't eat a whole pie myself :p

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jen

You should make little apple pies then freeze them. Hard to over indulge when they're frozen :)

Unknown said...

What a shame about your poor trees, I hope they grow big and strong.

Your painting is lovely!

Jennifer Rose said...

that is true, little ones would work but would still be really tempting to eat too many :p