Wednesday, April 29, 2015

High Tea


High Tea - Sold
 6" x 8"  oil on panel

Isn't it funny how even water can taste better if its in a beautiful container?

Tea is the same.  Nowadays you don't see china teacups very often. I'm sure there is probably a whole generation who have never seen the ornate teacups that were commonplace years ago.  I inherited a number of china teacups from my grandmother and still use them from time to time instead of the usual mug.  The gold on this teacup is beautiful and with my love of reflections, it had to be painted.


I believe beautiful things are made to be used, not stored behind glass in a cabinet and admired from afar.


What is your favourite cup/mug/glass?  Have you ever drawn or painted it?


4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

hmm don't think I have a fav mug or glass, I use what ever I grab first from the cupboard :p

Some of the older mugs/cups are so pretty I have a hard time using them, so afraid I will drop them. a cup has survived 100+ years and then my luck I would drop it :p

Jeanette Jobson said...

I grab mugs for everyday life, but now and then I like a "real" cup to drink out of.

Naw, you wouldn't break it. Things are made to be used. And as my old great aunt used to say "No breakers, no makers." :)

RH Carpenter said...

Since my only pretty teacups are family heirlooms, I never use them. Perhaps that's not the way to treat family heirlooms but get them out and use them and make an event of it. Love the golden cup! I know tea (or, heaven forbid, coffee, would taste sooo good in a cup this pretty)!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Rhonda, I have always used heirlooms, no matter what they were. They were created to be beautiful and useful as well. Of course if something is priceless and rare, I may feel different, but I know my grandmother's teacups are neither so I put them to use on a regular basis.

To me, they are useless hidden in a cupboard and I may as well not have them.