Friday, July 17, 2015

2007 or 2015?

 Mission Figs

6" x 8" oil on panel   -  SOLD


Eight years ago I painted figs with oils using a brush and wrote a blog post about it..  The fig painting sold at an exhibition but over time I kept thinking about that image and it kept popping up when I looked for things to paint.  Over time an artist's style changes and I thought it would be interesting to paint the same image using palette knives and my current palette of cool and warm colour and compare the two paintings.

Similar colours are present but my style is quite different now. It is looser and impressionistic.  The 2007 version is tight and controlled but soft. These days I am bolder with colour and contrast levels.  Both values and colour saturation are more marked in the 2015 version of the painting.

If the person who bought the 2007 version saw the 2015 version, I wonder which they would prefer? 


8 comments:

theartistsday said...

I think Jeanette you've got a lot bolder and more confident with your paint.
I like this work a lot!

Jennifer Rose said...

if it was me, I would still cherish the one I had but want this one too :) ;)

the newer one is full of much more light and energy :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

I agree Mary. In 2007 I was relearning oils again after a long break and now am more confident and relaxed with them.

Jen, I like the newer version more too, but still think there's appeal in the older one too. Its interesting to look back over work and see how it changes with time.

Unknown said...

Love this new version!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Sue. It's a lot looser isn't it?

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Jeanette,
The 2015 version, in my always humble opinion. No comparison, though the merits of both are clearly evident. As you said, they're simply different styles.
Hope you're enjoying a delightful summer and are just busy enough to have some time for artistic experiments and relaxation.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I like that version too Gary. It is a very different, more impressionistic style that has evolved.

My summer is busy, the weather is horrible but I'm heading west in hopes of better weather soon.

Enjoy

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I get the feel of an individual touch in the new one. As lovely as the first one is it still conforms to a
traditional imagery. LOVE the new one - quite brilliant