Monday, October 26, 2015

Siren

Siren  16" x 20" 
  As I rearrange my studio for what is hoped the last time (though I know it won't be), I came across a watercolour on Arches board of a big pink flower.  I don't know what the reference was, its too long ago to remember. There was also the challenge of some masking fluid still on the upper left petal and was near impossible to remove after being there for so long.  So I removed as  much as I could and worked with the resulting texture that was left.

Original painting

Being inbetween paintings I thought I'd play around with colour and see if I could liven it up a bit.  I kept adding washes of colour and dropping other colours into the wet wash, letting them mingle. I hadn't used watercolour on a larger scale for a long time and enjoyed remembering how the medium worked its magic.

Colour wash progress

Looking back at it now I know I added too many layers, desaturating the colours too much and losing the freshness of the medium.  The colours are not as pure or fresh as I'd like, but overall it works. I think I'll stick with oils and keep the watercolours for my sketches! It may never be saleable, but it will brighten up a corner of the studio.

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I don't know why you say you can't paint flowers, these are really nice

tru said...

I love the colour combinations!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jen, I can paint anything I want, but flowers don't interest me at all. I occasionally do one but it could never be a subject I could get fired up about for painting.

Thanks Tru. Each version has its own appeal and was an interesting experiment.

Jennifer Rose said...

i understand, its like me with landscapes. Could do one if I had to, but really only if I had to :p