Thursday, April 26, 2007

Apes and life


I'm toying with the idea of drawing another ape on drafting film and can't decide if it should be a chimpanzee or a gorilla. Both are quite interesting, but finding just the right reference is a challenge. I loved the hand especially on this chimp. The finger shapes and folds of skin made it fascinating to sketch.

I also looked in vain at the Anna Templeton Centre for a life or figure class in St. John's today. There were no life classes and the one figure class only had one registrant so the centre cancelled it. They say they'll call me in the fall as spring/summer isn't a good time, but they seem to be starting up knitting classes then - go figure. Seems to me that any time of year is a good time to draw...The only life class I know of is held on Thursday mornings and as I work, that's no good to me.

It seems I'm back to plan B, which is trying to start a figure class myself. I'll have to look into it after a little trip to Quebec next week. Gerry Squires is holding a life drawing/painting course at Memorial University over two weekends that I would love to attend. But the first weekend is one that I will be out of the province. Sigh. Back to plan 'B'.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Jeanette, when I was around 24 years old, I took a life class at a local art school. The class had the same female model every week, which I was fine with. Around the middle of the series I missed a class. When I came back the next week our model had changed...to a MALE model! I was so flustered!!! It took me half the class period to get my composure back. And I wasn't the one without any clothes on!

When I got home I called my dad, who had taken many life classes in college, and told him my story. He got a good hearty laugh out of it. :D

Jeanette Jobson said...

That's cute Stacy. I remember male models in classes that I used to take. There was one guy who always wanted to keep his underpants on but Tom, the artist would never let him, saying 'this is a life class, off they come or you don't get paid.' They always came off...