4.75" etching on Stonehenge paper
I'm still on my little etching path and reusing disc protectors as etching plates. As a result, a fish is born. Well, two, to be precise, and likely more.
I was looking at the acrylic protector and thinking how could I incorporate the central hole into the etching, then of course! The pupil of an eye. I scratched the image into the disc with a little etching needle. I torn some Stonehenge paper into 6 x 8 sheets, sprayed then and put them into a ziplock plastic bag to sit overnight and become pliable and plump. The next morning I coated the plate with Caligo oil based ink in Carbon Black (I love how intense and matte this ink is) then ran a print under the press. The first print was great (but a couple of tiny flecks of ink on the surface); the second print ok and the third a bit blurred as the paper was too damp.
4.75" original etching on stonehenge
With the second print, I added watercolour washes to it and like the effect as I can see the lines clearly through the pigment. Put next to each other they look like fraternal twins. Alike but different.
I'll be printing more of this image as long as the plate holds up. With acrylic plates the lines compress and burrs become less distinct as the run proceeds, so most are limited editions due to the more fragile nature of the plate.
I've ordered some acrylic plates and etching needles as well as some more printmaking papers to try. I'm familiar with a lot, but there are always new ones coming out and its good to keep testing and see what may become a new favourite.